• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 1, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Why Level 2 around-town charging is needed...

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
At taxpayer expense only to be mown down by vandals and copper thieves.

I wouldn't either and i really fear that so many will also feel this way that BEV adoption will be slowed and/or limited because I am very cynical about a workable charging solution for the hoi polloi.
I had to look up hoi polloi ... I'm guessing that term is only used in faculty lounges and select country clubs ;-).

The charger build out seems to be happening and a no-brainer is to use select gas stations with convenience stores for EV charging. As for vandals and thieves, that is what it is.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'm guessing that term is only used in faculty lounges and select country clubs ;-).
Or by any G&S fan!

Peers: Our high prestige you can't assail with vile cannaille
Fairies: That word is French
P: Distinction ebbs before a herd of lowly plebs
F: A Latin word
P: 'Twould fill with joy and madness stark the hoi polloi
F: A Greek remark.
F: A Latin word, a Greek remark and one that's French.

Am I showing my age?

The charger build out seems to be happening and a no-brainer is to use select gas stations with convenience stores for EV charging. As for vandals and thieves, that is what it is.
And what it is is, I think, a huge threat to getting BEV into the hands of the H.P. I've just seen security camera footage from a convenience store/gas/charging station where the thieves come by on successive nights to harvest the charging cables they couldn't haul off on the previous night.

Last edited:

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
They need to fix billing for this to be exciting. Having to spend a couple minutes futzing with authentication every time you charge would be a headache
I've often defended non-Tesla chargers, and they are becoming more viable but they really lag in payment/initiating charge vs Superchargers. Tesla's lead with the Supercharger network isn't so much about location anymore, at least were I travel, it is about plug and charge always working. You get out, plug it in and in 30 seconds or less it starts charging. EA, which works fairly well and I've found to be the best non-Tesla network (I believe this is dependent on region), takes several minutes to get through the app, initiate and begin charging. There are some local level 2 chargers that are free (both at shopping areas), don't require an app and work just like home charging.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Gilbert & Sullivan?

Talk about dating ones self ... :)
Yea, that's me but I checked and my Alma Mater's Savoyards seems to have existed well into this century.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Having to spend a couple minutes futzing with authentication every time you charge would be a headache
Most of the non-Tesla stations seem to have some sort of RFID card. Fiddling with that isn't really much of a problem (relative to having had to open the frunk and fish out the CHAdeMO adapter). What is frustrating is if you can't find the RFID card.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I've often defended non-Tesla chargers, and they are becoming more viable but they really lag in payment/initiating charge vs Superchargers. Tesla's lead with the Supercharger network isn't so much about location anymore, at least were I travel, it is about plug and charge always working. You get out, plug it in and in 30 seconds or less it starts charging. EA, which works fairly well and I've found to be the best non-Tesla network (I believe this is dependent on region), takes several minutes to get through the app, initiate and begin charging. There are some local level 2 chargers that are free (both at shopping areas), don't require an app and work just like home charging.
Yeah… add that 2m authentication time to your typical slow non tesla charging times as well.

One of the best things about superchargers is it is completely non interactive. You plug in and walk. Gas stations require a couple minutes or more of futzing with payments to work.