• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 1, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

10 millionth 4680 cell produced at GigaTexas

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wish there was more transparency on the 4680 ramp. At this point I'm not convinced the CT will only be 4680 cells. 15 months to only produce ~12,000 MY of cells? And with no apparent advantage to 2170 cells after Munroe teardown?

I really hope I'm wrong, but 4680 has been a disappointment so far.
Texas has only been producing cells for ~6 months.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Texas has only been producing cells for ~6 months.
We know they were producing in December. They started some time between June of last year and December.

Source? May 2022 according to Whole Mars.
Tesla hasn't been specific. Whole Mars Catalog tends to choose optimistic views.

I said a year since that was the longest possible time.

-Crissa

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Based on this timeline, the pace hasnt changed much since this post.
based on napkin math thats in the neighborhood of 6-700 cybertrucks worth of batteries per week lets just say that by now theyve added a little more capacity and its 800 CTs. Thats 50k trucks per year. Are they actually gonna 8x that figure to produce 375k CTs ?

if anything, the CT will require more than double the amount of batteries vs SR MY right?

Tesla Model 2 10 millionth 4680 cell produced at GigaTexas IMG_5018

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Based on this timeline, the pace hasnt changed much since this post.
based on napkin math thats in the neighborhood of 6-700 cybertrucks worth of batteries per week lets just say that by now theyve added a little more capacity and its 800 CTs. Thats 50k trucks per year. Are they actually gonna 8x that figure to produce 375k CTs ?

if anything, the CT will require more than double the amount of batteries vs SR MY right?

IMG_5018.png
that post was total — inclauding Fremont which started first and had a huge head start.

The 10m mark is for Texas only which had a much later start. Notice that part has 2 big groups of people where the more recent only has one?

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
One was total, ever. 1 million cells over two years from one factory.
One was per week, including two factories. 0.8 million a week, or a thousand cars.
The most recent was total from the newer factory. It has now made 10 million cells itself.

10 million in a year would be 20x the output of the first factory's first two years. If it were six months, that's 40x.

-Crissa

NicholasBlanton

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Student
Country flag
When I first read this, I thought it was extremely low and was trying to get the math to come out right. Now that I understand it means "10 million cells at Austin," the announcement makes more sense.

BeastSlayer

Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Ryder
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer of MyLooseChange
Country flag
If they are building another 4680 facility near Freemont, to me it indicates they have settled on one of the two options they were testing.

Could also mean they are satisfied with the current capacity to scale it out.

I don't think they would move on out of desperation.
And no mention of Panasonic 4680 battery production in Giga Nevada?

BeastSlayer

Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Ryder
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer of MyLooseChange
Country flag
We don't know who will run the 4680 line in Nevada, if it'll be under contract or direct.

-Crissa
I don't know if it already changed, but I understand Giga NV is all Panasonic. I am not sure too on whose technology it is on 4680.

And my point is whatever battery is produced in Nevada will be add on to those produced in Giga Texas -- and hopefully, it will include batteries for Cybertruck.