• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 1, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Introducing CyberCover -- Stainless Steel Cover For Wall Connector

bagholder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR, Nissan Leaf
Country flag
otherwise you may impact a lot of WIFI gen chargers.
I'm curious which is more important: UWC support or WiFi.

WiFi is not required to check a car's charging status, which is done through the Tesla app. This is what most people use.

Most people only need WiFi temporarily for the initial setup, like limiting the charge to 40A, if the breaker is 50A. Once done, WiFi is not really needed for most people. There's firmware updates that can be downloaded over WiFi, but it's rarely needed.

It looks simple to pull off the Cybercover, with no tools required. That seems easy if the WiFi setup needs to be repeated.

A constant and stable WiFi connection is probably required if you have at least two Tesla Wall Connectors that cannot charge multiple EVs at max. current. Ideally you should have a WiFi AP installed in your garage if you have this advanced setup. You should not rely on weak WiFi signal coming from inside the house.

Overall, it seems like UWC should be prioritized over WiFi support for this project.

Please let me know if I'm wrong on any of the above!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag
Thanks, I just backed your project based on this post. I think many will have the UWC, so this is a good idea.

Let me know if I can help. I have multiple 3D printers, a laser cutter, and a thermoformer. I may be able to make an acrylic mockup to test it out on the UWC.

also, from ChatGPT on WiFi signal below. I wonder if making the bottom panel (or sides) out of matte black acrylic would help? The bottom wouldn’t be very visible and might help.

If the thickness of the 304 stainless steel is 1/16” (about 1.6 mm), it will still have a noticeable impact on WiFi signals. Here’s how this thickness influences signal propagation:

1. **Reflection and Refraction**: Even at 1/16” thickness, stainless steel will reflect a significant portion of the WiFi signal, causing it to bounce off the surface rather than pass through.

2. **Attenuation**: The signal attenuation (reduction in signal strength) will be considerable. While some signal may penetrate the thin steel, much of it will be absorbed or scattered, leading to weakened signal strength on the other side.

3. **Interference**: The thin layer can still interfere with the WiFi signal, causing disruptions in the data flow and potential decreases in data rates.

For practical purposes, even a 1/16” thickness of 304 stainless steel will act as a barrier to WiFi signals, reducing both signal strength and quality. If maintaining strong WiFi coverage is essential, consider using WiFi extenders, placing the router in an optimal position to minimize obstruction, or using materials with less impact on signal propagation.
I just ran a test using the Tesla One app, which is used for commissioning the Wall connectors. Once you are linked to the Wall Connector via the app, you can see the WIFI signal strength. I took a reading with the original glass faceplate and another one with the stainless steel cover. With the glass faceplate installed, the signal strength was between 96-98%. With the stainless steel cover, the signal strength was between 68-72%.

It is worth making a distinction between connecting to the Wall Connector vs connecting to the vehicle via WIFI. I believe most people connect to their vehicle via the Tesla app to check charging status, limit the charging level or do things like turn the AC ON/OFF. Connecting to the Wall connector via WIFI would be for commissioning, troubleshooting or gathering data during a charging session.

OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag
@Edson With you now working on the UWC if I back your project, will I be able to select the version of the cover I want?
As per the Kickstarter procedure, once the campaign ends, I will reach out individually to collect shipping info, during this step I also plan to collect charger info. You will be able to tell me at this step if you have a gen 3 or Universal Wall Connector.

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model X
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
I just ran a test using the Tesla One app, which is used for commissioning the Wall connectors. Once you are linked to the Wall Connector via the app, you can see the WIFI signal strength. I took a reading with the original glass faceplate and another one with the stainless steel cover. With the glass faceplate installed, the signal strength was between 96-98%. With the stainless steel cover, the signal strength was between 68-72%.

It is worth making a distinction between connecting to the Wall Connector vs connecting to the vehicle via WIFI. I believe most people connect to their vehicle via the Tesla app to check charging status, limit the charging level or do things like turn the AC ON/OFF. Connecting to the Wall connector via WIFI would be for commissioning, troubleshooting or gathering data during a charging session.
Would Wi-Fi also be needed…
- to update the wall charger?
- to see wall charger status for PowerShare / powerwall setups in app?

Best case would just be to test it for a while I guess. You may want to notify customers of a potential WiFi hit and offer a possible solution.

OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag
What about WiFi signal strength?
WIFI signal strength is affected. After some tests, I noticed the WIFI strength was between 68-70% with the stainless steel cover vs 96-98% with the original glass faceplate.

It's worth noting that connecting to the Wall Connector via WIFI, at least in my experience, was only needed during setup. Afterwards, I regularly connect to the car via WIFI(Tesla App) to check for charging status, etc.

OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag
I too am wondering about wifi strength and UWC compatibility. Otherwise, I love it.
Check out my later posts about WIFI strength. I am also making a version for the Universal Wall Connector.

OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag
Would Wi-Fi also be needed…
- to update the wall charger?
- to see wall charger status for PowerShare / powerwall setups in app?

Best case would just be to test it for a while I guess. You may want to notify customers of a potential WiFi hit and offer a possible solution.
WIFI is needed to configure or update the charger. A weaker WIFI signal does not mean you cannot access it at all, it's just a weaker signal. If you do want a stronger signal for a short period of time, like a software update, the cover can be removed without any tools, and placed back after the update.

The Kickstarter FAQ has been updated with this info, thanks for the suggestion ;)

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 MYLR (Lola), 2024 FS AWD (Deckard 263-54)
Country flag
My Gen3 WC and UWC connect to the Tesla app via WiFi for visibility with my PowerWall setup.

When I’m having WiFi issues, I can’t ‘see’ the wall connectors on the Tesla app. They show as “off line”.

Not the end of the world I guess, but it would bug me if the cover caused WiFi issues.

Tesla Model 2 Introducing CyberCover -- Stainless Steel Cover For Wall Connector IMG_4232

bagholder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR, Nissan Leaf
Country flag
When I’m having WiFi issues, I can’t ‘see’ the wall connectors on the Tesla app. They show as “off line”.
Nice setup! Do you have a WiFi access point in your garage?

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

maccore2

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cyberytruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Very creative idea and happy to back! Love the collaboration here to bring a UWC version to life, which is the charger for my CT.

OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag
I just received my brand new UWC. This thing is impressive. It is much thicker compared to the gen3 Wall Connector. I've already started designing a version for the UWC. The good thing is the faceplate and the waterproof covers are the same. Besides being deeper, it will also have a relocated cutout for the charging cable.

Tesla Model 2 Introducing CyberCover -- Stainless Steel Cover For Wall Connector UWC - cybercover.JPG

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP, I’m not sure where the wi-fi antenna is located on the WC/UWC, but any thought to making a small cutout on the Cybercover above it to reduce signal degradation?

OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag
OP, I’m not sure where the wi-fi antenna is located on the WC/UWC, but any thought to making a small cutout on the Cybercover above it to reduce signal degradation?
Absolutely! Actually for my first prototype I had no cutouts on the top, because I had envisioned the power cable feeding in through the bottom of the wall connector, where I already had a cutout for the charging cable. There might be users out there with a top side entry for the power cable, in that case a cutout is needed anyways to accommodate the power cable coming in.
The antenna is located near the top
Tesla Model 2 Introducing CyberCover -- Stainless Steel Cover For Wall Connector UWC antenna.JPG

Last edited:

SoCalSteve

First Name
SoCalSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exige, Mark VIII, Countryman, Rune, X (Ultra Red)
Occupation
Industrial & Systems Engineer
Country flag
The super early bird was $99. Seems like a great price point to go with a great design!