• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 1, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

ProtectaClear Cybertruck Application Video w/ Before & After Results

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
What is the long term durability in years of ProtectaClear?
Would two coats be better than one?
Is cracking, fading or loss of gloss an issue?
I live in Florida and this is a concern.
In their FAQ
Lasts 1-2 years
1 coat only needed
Supposed to not crack or fade

Also in FL so I had the same questions

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Wait a minute. Are you recommending to follow up the barkeepers friend application immediately with Windex?
You are not following the manufacturer’s instructions on both these products. Please explain why you are recommending this.

BKF needs to be rinsed off immediately with WATER. That’s how you neutralize the acid.

Windex is not recommended for stainless steel.

More details:

Using Barkeepers Friend:

Washing and Cleaning Fingerprints:

Don’t Use Windex and other advice
Yes, that is what we are recommending, because we tested it and it works. Yes, the BKF is acidic, but the Windex is alkaline. It neutralizes the acid in the BKF, we did the PH testing to be sure. We always caution our customers to neutralize any acids as they have a reaction with our coatings, so we are very sensitive about this and made sure this combination was a proper preparation for our coating.

As your links point out, Windex is not advised for RECURRING use on stainless. A single use will not harm the metal and again, we tested it to be sure there was no residue that would interfere with the adhesion of ProtectaClear to the surface.

We understand this is not following the manufacturer instructions for each, but hey, Q-tip says not to use their product to clean your ears, but 99% of people use it for that purpose. :)

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Forgot to ask my question. I’m often on dirt and mud roads. Can I power wash the truck without it removing protectaclear coating? Do I just have to avoid up close blasting now, is there a certain psi that will be safe vs not safe?
We do not recommend pressure washing the surface after coating.

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
Yes, that is what we are recommending, because we tested it and it works. Yes, the BKF is acidic, but the Windex is alkaline. It neutralizes the acid in the BKF, we did the PH testing to be sure. We always caution our customers to neutralize any acids as they have a reaction with our coatings, so we are very sensitive about this and made sure this combination was a proper preparation for our coating.

As your links point out, Windex is not advised for RECURRING use on stainless. A single use will not harm the metal and again, we tested it to be sure there was no residue that would interfere with the adhesion of ProtectaClear to the surface.

We understand this is not following the manufacturer instructions for each, but hey, Q-tip says not to use their product to clean your ears, but 99% of people use it for that purpose. :)
Would you have an alternative to Windex for those that are now ‘wary’ to use this product?

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
In their FAQ
Lasts 1-2 years
1 coat only needed
Supposed to not crack or fade

Also in FL so I had the same questions
Thanks for chiming in! Although that one to two years is when you might need a touch up, the not highly touched part
Would you have an alternative to Windex for those that are now ‘wary’ to use this product?
You can use water and baking soda to neutralize but the finish doesn’t look as great. You also always want to do the solvent wipe right before coating which will also help with the streaks a bit.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag

Interesting. I guess it’s your business.

As a DeLorean owner for 11 years and the leader of the club, I have found the best way to get a squeaky clean surface with no residue is to follow the instructions on the BKF bottle which is to rinse immediately with water after applying the BKF. I do one panel at a time, washing each one well, then washing the whole vehicle again with a mild no wax automotive soap. Rinse well, and dry the panels thoroughly, and right away.

To each their own. I won’t be a buyer of your product. We’ve learned that the best product is no product for maintaining the stainless. That’s the beauty of buying a stainless steel vehicle: no paint, no coating, no waxing.

As mentioned in your video, you’ll still have to wipe away fingerprints. I guess we’ll see over time how your product performs. Good luck.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
My general concern is cleaning with the product.

Power washing is not recommended.
Traditional drive through car washes not recommended.

Touchless usually involves power wash type spraying.

i can't do the hand wash on this truck.

Any other method?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Interesting. I guess it’s your business.

As a DeLorean owner for 11 years and the leader of the club, I have found the best way to get a squeaky clean surface with no residue is to follow the instructions on the BKF bottle which is to rinse immediately with water after applying the BKF. I do one panel at a time, washing each one well, then washing the whole vehicle again with a mild no wax automotive soap. Rinse well, and dry the panels thoroughly, and right away.

To each their own. I won’t be a buyer of your product. We’ve learned that the best product is no product for maintaining the stainless. That’s the beauty of buying a stainless steel vehicle: no paint, no coating, no waxing.

As mentioned in your video, you’ll still have to wipe away fingerprints. I guess we’ll see over time how your product performs. Good luck.
My main concern with this method is, when I rinse the BKF off of the panels it will run down onto the black plastic fenders, bumpers, rockers, etc. How would I prevent that from happening? I'm guessing (and someone has already done this) that BKF runoff will discolor the black plastic.

DumpsterFire

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag

Any other method?
Let your truck go feral, my man!

it’ll be happier! ?

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Let your truck go feral, my man!

it’ll be happier! ?
This is always my question with special product applications. I don't want to apply something that makes me baby the car/truck. That would be why one applies product in first place. I plan on being naked. It provides the most comfort. Yet support helps sometimes.

ehuna

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks @BengalBoy I am a regular on Linkedin and conference speaking circuit too so I guess others agree. To answer your questions:

a. Around 3-4 hours. You would want to do the wash step for the entire truck first and let it dry, then BKF & Windex, then solvent wipe right before you coat each section. The solvent wipe ensures a clean and dry surface and also helps with adhesion of the coating.
b. No, ProtectaClear starts to dry right away and takes up to an hour to dry to the touch (depending on the environmental and surface temperatures). You can definitely drive it the next day and if you leave it in the sun, it will cure even faster.
c. It will protect the metal from those things tarnishing the metal and makes it easier to clean the truck overall. Those things will still sit on top of the coating but are easily cleaned off.
I confirm that everything @ProtectaClear says above is true.

You can also prepare and coat only certain sections of the Cybertruck instead of doing it all at once. We started with one frunk section, then a couple of sections in the back, then the next day we did all 4 doors, etc.

When you apply the coating, it does look a bit darker, but that’s ok for a few days until we finish applying it to the whole truck.

fprhanna1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TESLA X
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Thank you for your product, sounds like a very good alternative to protect the Cybertruck, how often should be applied?

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Thank you for your product, sounds like a very good alternative to protect the Cybertruck, how often should be applied?
You may need to reapply every year or two depending on the abuse you put your truck through. But often times it may just need a touch up, not a full recoat.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT

Any other method?
Yea would be interested to see what it looks like if we DO use a power washer, does it just fade faster, does it crack, peel, etc?
If I have to apply it once a year so I can blast it through a car wash thats ok

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag

Any other method?
The concern with car washes is that they all use different hardware and chemicals. So our advice is always on the conservative side.

Our previous customers who use ProtectaClear on their vehicles typically have customs or classics that they are meticulous with and don’t run them through a car wash.

We have yet to have someone take their coated CT through a car wash to test the outcome, but I would love to hear the results.