• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 1, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?"

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I am a bit surprised at all of the conjecture about the nextgen platform when Elon spent much of Investor a day telling the world exactly what the nextgen platform is. Just go run the video and be enlightened!
Investor Day?

i didn’t remember much, and just scanned back through, and there’s less said about next Gen details than was just said on the Q2?

he says they’re building 2 new products, they may make >5M per year of them, and they’re revolutionary in assembly

otherwise the deck seems to only contain:

Tesla Model 2 Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" E4743EB0-6427-403B-A07A-CE50D8EC506F
Tesla Model 2 Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" 26B29BAE-CAFD-4DEF-ACEF-9FA2683514C3

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Investor Day?

i didn’t remember much, and just scanned back through, and there’s less said about next Gen details than was just said on the Q2?

he says they’re building 2 new products, they may make >5M per year of them, and they’re revolutionary in assembly

E4743EB0-6427-403B-A07A-CE50D8EC506F.png
26B29BAE-CAFD-4DEF-ACEF-9FA2683514C3.png
Ok, maybe I got the wrong meeting. I’ll find it. Not the deck but the video.

investor Day: Design, 46 minutes to 52 minutes.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ok, maybe I got the wrong meeting. I’ll find it.
ah, wait, I watched the shareholder meeting portion that had Q&A with Elon at the end, and I think it’s this presentation beforehand you’re referring to:

Quick scan found a few bits around the unboxed construction

Tesla Model 2 Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" 88C7E881-70EA-415D-916D-E5E534B8DCDA

Tesla Model 2 Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" 581F065D-19F9-4375-9FC4-4B55555DD016

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Next gen platform is the unboxed design where they only have to paint and put the car together once. Lots of castings and 25k car.

If someone else said this already, sry. No time to read

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Lots of castings and 25k car.

If someone else said this already, sry. No time to read
somewhat yes thx

though discussion above is that it sounds from Q2 call like the robotaxi might be the first of these next gens - at least Musk focused a lot on that, but not on the sedan

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Investor Day?

E4743EB0-6427-403B-A07A-CE50D8EC506F.png
26B29BAE-CAFD-4DEF-ACEF-9FA2683514C3.png
I still haven't watched that one, it's on my watch list.

But that motor assembly is interesting. First it's obviously is a two motor version, with two controllers and two heat exchangers visible. Second it is significantly smaller than previous versions meaning CF wrapped for high speed.

But...it says no rare earth's, which is a good thing, but does that also mean no rare earth magnets? That would mean they're making those units out of induction AC motors again, meaning higher output, no loss whilst free-wheeling motors. This bodes very well for the all CTs will be QM, in that you don't need a clutch on each motor to disengage their power draw for high efficiency, like the Semi uses.

Although it's meant to be "next gen" I do believe they have had enough time since plaid to make a version for the CT. Now for a longitudinal version, they just need a different gearbox between them so it looks the same as in the CT crash video.

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
somewhat yes thx

though discussion above is that it sounds from Q2 call like the robotaxi might be the first of these next gens - at least Musk focused a lot on that, but not on the sedan
I think Elon just thinks of everything as robo taxi tbh. And they might be the same car.

He said model 3 was a robotaxi once upon a time

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Also re motor assembly:

The price is also very low in comparison to the Monroe estimates. This also means its much more likely to become the default drivetrain for all of them. Its down about 60٪

Now it might also come with a bidirectional charger built into the motor controllers. Motor controllers are bidirectional already (regen is charging batteries), it's only really missing the AC charging algorithms and a connection to the DC input bus. This also would mean that they could use the same controller for V2X, further reducing the required parts accross the board. With that you would have 1/2/3 phase outputs at motor power levels (+100kW) and you could even use the motor windings for voltage conversion if you needed to. (Others are doing this already)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Actually...seeing that the Solar City case is over, maybe now we'll see more V2X because it doesn't look like it will cannibalise that anymore. Who knows why Tesla is dragging their feet so much on V2X...I really don't think it's tech related.

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
Tesla Model 2 Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" Tesla-where-have-the-restyled-Model-2-and-Model-3-1140x570

The product above the cybertruck should be a cybervan. No fancy falcon wing doors, just 5' sliders would be perfect for a standard pallet to fit through. This product should use modular floor system to allow for it to be configured based on need. It could be a workvan, delivery van, large 3-4 row "SUV', and like all tesla products, a future robotaxi.

The 700m hidden product could just be a skateboard to allow Tesla or others to customize for whatever use case. Passenger pods or cargo pods on a Tesla FSD skateboard could change transportation, especially in urban areas. I don't think the boring tunnel shuttle is the product under the 300M sheet. Boring company has not expanded fast enough for them to produce a product like that. It could be the 700M skateboard with a shuttle pod on it.

These are my favorite renderings of the cybervan.

Tesla Model 2 Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" 1 Cybervan
Tesla Model 2 Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" C666E601-F4CB-4ACF-91B2-173A10748C8B
Tesla Model 2 Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" Screenshot 2023-07-18 133246

Tesla Model 2 Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" SUV02

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It could be a workvan, delivery van, large 3-4 row "SUV', and like all tesla products, a future robotaxi.
but the discussion here turns on Musk now repeatedly talking about a “dedicated robotaxi” product - and that this dedicated robotaxi product will an unusual form factor, even lack steering wheel, etc.

not the separate idea that any Tesla product could be used as a robotaxi

Because Musk has multiple times in the last year said there are 2 more products coming, including the dedicated robotaxi, and because there are only two ghosts in these photos, and one is obviously a sedan - it leads to the conclusion the other ghost is the dedicated robotaxi vehicle

so if that ghost is the “cybervan” it suggests the cybervan will be the dedicated robotaxi

along lines of this analysis

in any event, that ghost figure doesn’t appear to betray a “cyber” like SS angular construction

WormtownKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2013 F150
Occupation
Outside Sales
Country flag
Tesla-where-have-the-restyled-Model-2-and-Model-3-1140x570.jpg

The product above the cybertruck should be a cybervan. No fancy falcon wing doors, just 5' sliders would be perfect for a standard pallet to fit through. This product should use modular floor system to allow for it to be configured based on need. It could be a workvan, delivery van, large 3-4 row "SUV', and like all tesla products, a future robotaxi.

The 700m hidden product could just be a skateboard to allow Tesla or others to customize for whatever use case. Passenger pods or cargo pods on a Tesla FSD skateboard could change transportation, especially in urban areas. I don't think the boring tunnel shuttle is the product under the 300M sheet. Boring company has not expanded fast enough for them to produce a product like that. It could be the 700M skateboard with a shuttle pod on it.

These are my favorite renderings of the cybervan.

1 Cybervan.jpeg
C666E601-F4CB-4ACF-91B2-173A10748C8B.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-07-18 133246.png

SUV02.jpg
I propose that the SUV version be called the Cyberban. (Of course GM would then probably sue.)

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
So, who has knowledge of this Next Gen Platform? Automated flying cars? I'm surprised we haven't seen more people talking about this unknown.
Who said anything about Tesla making automated flying cars?

In any case, the next gen platform has been kept pretty top-secret. Tesla has a history of running a pretty tight ship in terms of the usual leaks to the press in terms of new vehicle specs and designs. On the Cybertruck reveal day, everyone was stunned. No one knew it would be such a simple and pure design.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
but the discussion here turns on Musk now repeatedly talking about a “dedicated robotaxi” product - and that this dedicated robotaxi product will an unusual form factor, even lack steering wheel, etc.

not the separate idea that any Tesla product could be used as a robotaxi

Because Musk has multiple times in the last year said there are 2 more products coming, including the dedicated robotaxi, and because there are only two ghosts in these photos, and one is obviously a sedan - it leads to the conclusion the other ghost is the dedicated robotaxi vehicle

so if that ghost is the “cybervan” it suggests the cybervan will be the dedicated robotaxi

along lines of this analysis

in any event, that ghost figure doesn’t appear to betray a “cyber” like SS angular construction
Modula Skateboard Cybervan (canoo style) and a 3 wheel tandem two seater trike made out of two casts, and costing under $10k. That's what I would do.

You need to look at passenger miles to access the market. 1 pax dominates. With a configurable van and a 2 pax vehicle you cover every passenger combo.

Last edited: