• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 1, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Lordstown Endurance San felipe 250 truck.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
We all know that you can improve handling and performance by reducing unsprung weight. It's a given.

If you're not really concerned about handling at speed, then it doesn't really matter much. Hub motors are super simple compared to, say, an axle shaft, differential, gears, motors, etc. The trade offs are plain to see.

I'm all about speed and handling so I would not want a truck with hub motors, especially where I live. The roads in the northeast are awful.

I do think hub motors in the Aptera are a good idea. It's a low HP vehicle, the wheels are super light, it's not a performance vehicle. I imagine the hub motors are small and light, minimizing the negative impact on the car's handling.

But, @Revoltlution , I also love my Alta electric motorcycle! I would not have considered it if it wasn't a "proper" dirt bike, ie: no hub motors allowed.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Does your Zero motorbike have hub motors?
Or, my Alta EXR? Tesla's? Rivians? CT? Nope.
It's a bad idea on any high performance machine (i.e. truck in an off-road race).

Aptera is a dainty road car... scooters are cheap... Probably ok engineering decisions there.
Maybe the lordstown is primarily a city truck? That would make more sense.
Lordstown pickup design brief is “fleet”